*I* know for sure that Ubuntu 18.04 will run on a 32-bit machine (I have it on
a VM).

The deal is this:  Ubuntu no longer provides *installers* for 32-bit machines
-- I believe 16.04 is the last version of Ubuntu that includes installer /
live CD ISOs for 32-bit machines.  Once you have a 32-bit version installed,
you can always do a 'do-release-upgrade' on that 32-bit machine and it will
upgrade to the next release -- on a 32-bit Ubuntu 16.04, do-release-upgrade
will get you Ubuntu 18.04, then doing it again (after rebooting), you will
have a 32-bit version of 20.04, and then doing it yet again, you will have
22.04, still 32-bit.  I don't know if (when?) Ubuntu will stop building 32-bit
binaries -- I suspect that as long as there remain support for 32-bit in the
kernel and as long as gcc supports compiling for a 32-bit target, you will be
able to upgrade a 32-bit machine.  The only really issue is what happens when
certain critical parts for that 32-bit machine stop being available.  OTOH,
the only really 32-bit parts (CPU, motherboard, and memory) could last
indefinately -- the only parts that will wear out would be some of the
capacitors on the motherboard, which could be replaced.  It should even be
possible to replace the CPU fan.  I don't know if there are BIOS issues with
very large disks or if there will be some sort of "brick wall" issue with a
32-bit kernel dealing with ginormous disks -- I suspect that even a 32-bit
kernel will have no trouble a 1KT drives, but by then the issue will be
whether or not a it makes sense to get a hover mod for your Ford model A...
:-)

At Mon, 09 May 2022 08:02:00 -0400 "David T." <sunfis...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jonathan,
>
> I'm not a Linux person, but a search online turned up
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/768415/where-can-i-find-32-bit-version-of-ubuntu
>
> Which suggested that 18.04 was available for 32-bit:
>
> https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/18.04.5/release/xubuntu-18.04.5-desktop-i386.iso
>
> I also found:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1376090/latest-version-of-ubuntu-for-i386-architecture-32-bit
>
> Which links to:
>
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic-updates/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/
>
> But I don't profess to understand the contents at that second link. I leave
> it to you to sort it out.
>
> According to the Gnucash wiki, 18.04 has  2.6.19. Such an upgrade might be a
> major undertaking...
>
> David
>
> On May 9, 2022 12:19:28 AM EDT, Jonathan Francoeur <goedi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi David.  Thank you for asking.  I am using Linux Lite, Ubuntu 16.04
> >and GNU Cash 2.6.12 on the older machine.  As far as I know, I can not
> >install any newer version of Ubuntu on this 32bit machine.
> >
> >Hi Adrien.  I'm kinda scared of attempting to build a newer version of
> >GNU Cash without knowing that someone else has done so successfully.  I'm
> >not that good with computers and the list of dependencies looks daunting to
> >me.  Thank you for your suggestions none the less.
> >
> >On 3/25/22 4:25 AM, David T. via gnucash-user wrote:
> >> I think it would be helpful to know a bit more about the versions of
> >> Gnucash on the two machines. The message he got was that he needed *at
> >> least* 2.6.19, not that he needed to use it.
> >>
> >> Jonathan, does this imply that your older machine is running Ubuntu 16.04?
> >> The Gnucash wiki says that 16.04 had 2.6.12, while 18.04 had 2.6.19. The
> >> vintage of Ubuntu might affect your options here.
> >>
> >> And if your older system has a version greater than 2.6.19 on it,
> >> something else has gone wrong, and more info would be needed.

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----

Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
hel...@deepsoft.com       -- Webhosting Services