Hello.

Trying to improve my book-keeping, I would like to tackle this issue now so I went to the documentation, precisely "11.4.1. Unrealized Gains".

Problem is, the example applies to a painting, that is an object whose value changes, not shares whose number remains constant but whose value changes, thus leading to a change in total valuation.

Since the end goal is to derive unrealized P&L and then include those in the economic result for the year, I thought I could record a fake sale, after all at book opening the next year I do a fake purchase (with same price, just one day apart). If this makes sense, how do I compute the P&L given the new price? Must I do that manually with a split or is there some kind of assistance by GnuCash?

Thanks,

Andrea.