James,

If you are not seeing the transactions you have already entered and the
accounts in the account tab it is possible that you have not saved the
datafile. To do this use the File-Save As menu item immediately after starting
GnuCash up. It will then automatically open the same file next time you
startup. You are usually prompted to save the data file when a new file is
opened however I have had the prompt dialogue get lots behind other windows on
Linux Mint.
It is best if you create a directory in your home directory for the GnuCash data
file and then save it with a suitable filename in that directory. Gnucash
creates backup and log files each time it is run in the same directory as the
data files is located  and it is much neater to have all of these in a single
directory and it makes backup of your files simpler. There are also preferences
for autosaving the file periodically which AFAIK is set at ~20min by default. It
is best to exit by the File->Quit  (File ->Close only closes the account
register which is open) menu item to ensure the data you have entered is saved,
although recent changes ensure closing the window by other means will also force
a data save.

David Cousens