On 9/5/22 3:09 PM, John Ralls wrote:
On Sep 5, 2022, at 10:32 AM, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net>
wrote:

On 9/5/22 12:13 PM, Jack Frillman via gnucash-user wrote:
No I didn't delete the account?
Why would I do silly thing like that and lose all that history?
The account is hidden because it's balance is 0.
Reappearing means exactly what it says.
I was no longer in the account tree, i.e. list, because after the sale it's
balance became 0. No matter how I record that late dividend the balance becomes
non 0 and the account reappears in the account tree or list.
I didn't think you deleted it, but wasn't sure what was going on.

I can set an account with a non-zero balance to 'hidden' and it stays that way,
even with subsequent activity. I can set it to hidden with a zero balance, add
another transaction to make it non-zero, and it stays hidden. I'm not sure why
your account is showing up.

Did you by chance set a View filter on your Accounts tab that would affect this?
I don't under stand the last part.

A Dividend receipt would normally be between some asset account ('bank' or a
brokerage cash account if direct deposit, 'undeposited funds' if by paper
check) according to how you received the money, and an Income/Revenue account,
say 'Dividends Received'. The FundXYZ account shouldn't be touched at all.
As it states, 'normally' a dividend transaction doesn't involve the fund/stock at
all. It is a separate transaction between asset & income accounts. Though David
just informed me that there may be times you might record it there, which I had not
thought of.
In both cases you record an empty split to the stock account. That doesn't
change the account's balance and therefore won't unhide it from the Accounts
page.

And how do I do that?

Regards,
John Ralls

Old Unix programmers never die, they just mv to /dev/null
- Anonymous