I was about to reply the same. I've never had an issue in many years of using GnuCash because I start typing a Payee/Payor and Autofill keeps my fingers/brain from flubbing the remainder. If Autofill appears to not be 'responding' as I type someone I've entered many times before, that's a sure sign I've got a typo in the first 2–3 letters, so I can fix it before proceeding.

Of course, go ahead and raise a bill. There's no rule against it. The OP was about a quicker method. Regular transactions are the only option. (with caveats)