Scott -- Forgive me if I misinterpreted your request -- but if I am reading it
correctly, what you describing is not in line with the way GNU-Cash works.

You see GNU-cash works as a double-entry (two-sided) accounting system.  What
that means is that for every transaction - there must be an opposite and equal
counter-transaction.  Let me give you an example:

If I purchase groceries with a check, in the GNU-Cash world, there will exist
at least two transactions.  One (a debit to my checking account - which
decreases the balance); and a  second counter-transaction which will post the
credit.  In many cases, you might have an expense account called - Expenses:
Groceries.  That accounts balance will increase by the amount you just
purchased.  To make this more concrete, let's use an example:

Balance in Checking Account:  $220
Balance in Expense Groceries Account: $0

You go to the store - purchase $50 in groceries - and write check 1001 for $50,
reducing your checking account balance to $170.

Transaction in the Checking register:
Date            | NUM| Description                 | Transfer
|Deposit |Withdrawal| Balance |
12/4/2022 |  1001| Local Grocery Store  |Expenses:Groceries |              |
       50.00|    170.00|

Meanwhile, this transaction has also generated a separate equal and
corresponding transaction in the Expenses"Groceries account that looks like
this:
Date            | NUM| Description                 | Transfer
|Expense |Rebate| Balance |
12/4/2022 |  1001| Local Grocery Store  |Expenses:Groceries |     50.00|
     |    50.00|

So every transaction has a separate and equal "counter-transaction".  In this
way, everything remains in balance.

So you see, the reason you are seeing so many accounts is because each category
that you spend on will have a separate account.  The nice thing about this, is
that if you want to know how much you spent on any separate area (groceries,
utilities, etc.) you will always have a separate account which shows how much
you have spent.

As I said, I hope this helps explain why you are seeing what you are seeing.
You should just have one account (register) for your checking account.  The
other accounts are all the counter expense (or deposit) accounts.

Ken