From: gnucash-user
<gnucash-user-bounces+m.muruganandam=hotmail....@gnucash.org> on behalf of
Simon Roberts <si...@dancingcloudservices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2023 4:11 PM
To: Derek Atkins <de...@ihtfp.com>
Cc: Gnucash Users <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Delete / Edit invoice doesn't?

Hah, well, I did:

Business->Customer->FindInvoice.
Double click the invoice in the list, close the finder window.
Select the invoice "row"
Click "Delete" in the toolbar, brings up "Are you sure you want to delete
the selected entry"
Click yes.

But having just tried this with more than one item in the invoice (that was
an inspiration--it literally never happens in my business!) I now see
what I actually achieved--it just deleted the single line item, not the
invoice.

So, next question, and this might not have an answer other than opinion, in
which case that's fine, sometimes the answer is "the software design makes
that kinda hard and it's not a priority"; but is there a rationale behind
not being able to delete an invoice? Humans make mistakes, and being able
to undo them would seem to be... helpful?

And on poking around, it seems like one cannot delete a Customer either
(even if there are no transactions associated with it). Again, it seems
somewhat suboptimal in the face of the inevitable human propensity to err.

The "Edit..." right next to Customer:
[image: image.png]
... yeah, I see now that you point it out, it brings up a window marked "*Edit
Customer*"--meaning edit the customer itself. It doesn't equate to "edit
which customer this invoice is applied to", that's represented by "Select"
in a whole other window that comes from the "Edit Invoice" button on the
top line.

I would never have cottoned-on to the significance of that wording, nor
worked out how to do this, if you hadn't pointed it out, many thanks.

OK, well, if there's a rationale that might help me, great, but I think I
get what's going on here now.

Again, many thanks for rescuing me yet again everyone, and thank you for
all of your input Derek.

Cheers,
Simon

--