As I understand it, the Trial Balance report is As Of A Date, and therefore
cumulative to that date. Not sure why the report includes start and end dates
in that circumstance, except to follow settings provided by other reports.

As for multi currency trial balances, there have been many discussions about
the effect of exchange rates on the report, but the trading accounts are
supposed to address that. I've never had a trial balance report balance (in 15
years of GnuCash use), but then I've also never turned trading accounts on
(because I'm afraid of what it might change in those data).

An opening balance entry is not required; every account begins at some point in
time at zero.

I'm sure others can provide additional insights (and correct my inevitable
inaccuracies).

⁣David T. ​