On Thursday, 12 January 2023 14:05:04 GMT Paul W via gnucash-user wrote:
> To submit VAT data to HMRC here in the UK I am obliged to use a method which
> is automatic. So I need to find a way to trasnfer the balances from a
> couple of accounts to an Excel spreadsheet automatically ie not by copying
> and pasting. I need to press a button and it is done without the
> opportunity for errors to be introduced to the figures.Then I use some
> pre-approved software which reads the spreadsheet and uploads the data to
> HMRC. Is there some way to transfer a balance from an account to an Excel
> spreadsheet? _______________________________________________

Hi Paul.

Yes. quite easy.

You need the report called Income and GST statement, which I find under the
Reports -> Income & Expenses menu.

Then options -> Format -> UK VAT return
(and any other tweaking you need)

Export -> as CSV

boom, open the CSV in your spreadsheet...

(I use one from CHM software in LibreOffice Calc to file the return, I've
persuaded it to open the exported CSV and self-populate.  Not an endorsment,
no connection etc, but I find it does the job.)

good luck.
Maf.