On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 10:59 PM <gnucash-user-requ...@gnucash.org> wrote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: "David T." <sunfis...@yahoo.com>
> To: Tommy Trussell <tommy.truss...@gmail.com>
> Cc: Phyllis Bruce <pobruc...@gmail.com>, Gnucash Users <
> gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
> Bcc:
> Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 09:48:25 +0300
> Subject: Re: [GNC] TAX Report WAS Re:  reports not working unless exported
> Phyllis,
>
> Tommy is right. In order for the tax report to work, you must go to
> Edit->Tax Report Options, locate each account in the left entry box, and
> enter the IRS form and line for which the account is relevant in the right
> box. It is a tedious process, but only has to be done once for a set of
> books (aside from changes that must be made as you modify your account
> structures or the tax code changes).
>
> I did this many years ago, and have really liked the ability to get a
> quick snapshot of my overall tax situation in one quick report. Back in the
> day, you could use the report to populate several tax software packages
> (like TurboTax), but in recent years, these programs import forms directly
> from providers, rendering this aspect moot. But I still use this report
> regularly.
>
> When I set this up many years ago, it was necessary to assign each account
> separately, as in you had to exit the dialog after every account assigned;
> more recently, the interface has improved just a little bit, in that you
> can assign multiple accounts to the same IRS line at one pass (helpful for
> interest, dividend and capital gains accounts). But you cannot step through
> all your accounts and assign tax options sequentially in the one dialog. I
> don't know if this has changed, but I wouldn't expect it to have changed.
>
> David T.

Also there is a column that can be displayed in the Account Hierarchy tab
showing if a particular account is 'tagged' for the US Income Tax Report
(use the large downward pointing arrow on the right to select to display
it). This can be helpful if you want to scan quickly through accounts to
see if all necessary accounts have been 'tagged' and no inappropriate ones
have,

Alex