At the moment, I handle investments (e.g. my pension) as normal bank accounts. At the end of each year I receive a statement and I add a transaction into the account such as "Interest (5.05%)" which transfers the interest from an Income account (or to an Expense account in the event of a loss). I calculate the interest rate that I have received and add it into the transaction description (e.g. "5.05%" in the example above).

This means that I can easily see how the account has performed, irrespective of how much I have deposited over the year by looking at the % interest rate that I have noted in the description. I can also see how much (in my currency, GBP) the account was worth at the end of each year.

I want to switch over to using Gnucash's "Mutual Fund" and "Stock" account types. But there doesn't seem to be equivalent functionality:

1. Since the security isn't actually being bought/sold at the end of each year, the gains/losses for the year are unrealised so there won't be an "Interest" transfer. I guess I could add a blank transaction to note down the % interest that they year's gains/losses equates to, but is there a better way?

2. I can't see an easy way to see what the account was worth (in GBP) at a specific point in the past. I can add a "Total (GBP)" column to the main accounts page, which would tell me how much it is currently worth, but not how much it was worth in the past. It seems that an extra column in the account itself showing its total value at the time of each transaction would be a solution, but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this?

I presume this functionality is buried somewhere in reports - seems significantly more clunky and hard to use than it just being available on the account's own tab?

Many thanks.

--
- Steve