You wrote "if shutting down GnuCash" - do you mean shutting down Windows
while GnuCash is running with an unsaved file?

It's nice that Windows notes if LibreOffice is running, but I always assume
I'll lose data if I shut down with unsaved files and I normally close down
everything I'm running before I shut down or restart Windows.

I thought that if I attempted to shut down GnuCash without first saving the
file, that I get a warning, but I haven't done that it a while.