No, if that doesn't work then something else is interfering with the javascript
execution. Look in the tracefile (see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile)
for errors from WebKit.

Does the chart display if you export the report to a file and then open the
file with your browser? Can you install Gnome Web (also based on WebKitGtk) and
test if the exported report displays correctly with that?

Regards,
John Ralls