I think it's even more confusing in this case, because tax law does
occasionally push the original cost basis to the later generation. I do not
understand how it works, but the recipient "inherits" the original cost basis,
while the donor declares the value of the gift at market price. I don't profess
to understand this fully, and I wouldn't ask for advice on this here. It really
needs an expert in estate planning.

⁣David T. ​