It seems to me that the OP is running up against the fact that GnuCash has
always been focused on Real, rather than Potential, transactions, since it
follows a more strict accounting perspective. Users encounter this with
Scheduled transactions; they encounter it with budgets; they encounter it with
unrealized gains. Each of these arises in the lists with regularity.

Since OP mentioned that having a reasonable estimated exchange rate would
suffice in their situation, BOTH of their asks could be addressed by setting
the scheduled transactions to create far into the future. The transactions
would then be real entries in the books, and all the usual reports could be
used to determine future amounts.

And yes, there are pitfalls with creating real transactions in the books that
may not actually get created, but that's a tradeoff.

David T.