For each set of numbers, they run sequentially, without leading zeros.

9 is less than 12. How is that confusing?

It isn't '90' and '12'
It is '9' and '12'.

Until 3.x, minor odd versions (like 2.7) were used for 'beta' or 'unstable'. That was changed to x.90x. This gives plenty of room for interim minor versions between major versions without stepping over each other. (due to the release schedule, there is little way to get to '900' as a minor release before the next major version) Starting the unstable series at '900' also gives 10 releases if needed before the next major version jump. If the regular release schedule is followed, the most likely outcome is 3-4 unstable releases.

There is a wiki page that explains the version numbering, and if I'm not mistaken, the FAQ contains a link to it.