From: gnucash-user <gnucash-user-bounces+gylemc=gmail....@gnucash.org> on
behalf of Michael or Penny Novack <stepbystepf...@comcast.net>
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2023 10:18 AM
To: Vincent Dawans <dawa...@gmail.com>
Cc: gnucash-user@gnucash.org <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Can a bank account have sub-accounts?

On 3/13/2023 5:47 PM, Vincent Dawans wrote:
> This sort of fund accounting is typically taken care of by using the
> analytical dimension feature offered by some accounting softwares.
> Unfortunately gnuCash doesn't have that feature (yet).
> Here is an article somewhat explaining how it works (for a different
> accounting package):
> https://www.bakertilly.com/insights/tame-your-wild-not-for-profit-chart-of-accounts-with-dimensions

That was not the situation this person was asking about.

Non-profits often have "restricted" donations, funds donated that are
only usable for certain purposes. That restriction can be formal/legal,
in which case really should be kept in a segregated account. But a small
non-profit might have not enough to bother with that and might have some
funds only "morally restricted" (can, in emergencies, used for other
purposes).

Even when restricted funds kept in a separate account, if a small
org/small amounts the several restricted funds might be kept in a single
account.

Michael D Novack (who has been treasurer of several 501(c)3 orgs