Brad,

I just want to note that your acquaintance has a remarkably parochial attitude
about software. GnuCash has been available and actively developed for something
like 25 years.

It seems to me that in this era of "big data," those commercial companies are
more interested in the customer as a source of data mining income than as a
partner using their software.

*And* outages with major commercial platforms (Twitter, Facebook?) underscore
that it is not just open source projects that fail sometimes.

David T.