Michael,

I certainly agree with your concerns.

My statement includes my own implication that a good documentarian would
explain the broader purpose of the feature as well as its results and means to
manage it. My initial statement was terse enough that this aspect was missing.

To explicate further, the documents would include:

* a brief note regarding the reason for closing the books (i.e., the
historical);

* an explanation of what exactly the GnuCash CB feature does;

* an explanation of how to reverse it; and,

* a description of how some reports handle the results.

David T.

P.S. I would hesitate to address users' misunderstandings of the accounting
principles in GnuCash documentation for the reasons you often cite. I am not an
accountant and rules vary by jurisdiction. I've always attempted just to
explain clearly what the software *does* and let users figure out what they
want to do with it based on those capabilities.