Yeah, FYI the balancing code deletes the trading splits and recreates them
because getting a transaction with trading splits to balance incrementally is
way too hard. You don't need to delete the transaction and start over (though
that certainly works), you can just delete the trading splits and fix up the
other splits. Tweak everything so that there aren't any little gray squares.
Make sure to use the amount entry in the exchange rate section of the transfer
dialog and let GnuCash calculate the price: Doing it the other way just gets
you into rounding hell.

Regards,
John Ralls