On 4/11/2023 10:25 AM, Murugan Muruganandam wrote:
I wanted to input off balance sheet items in gnucash , contingent asset and
contingent liabilities.  any of you have done this with existing account
structure?

Yes, some of us might have very significant amounts of what is in effect our income, net worth, etc.) in things that involve "contingencies"

a) If in business and or an organization with significant contingent liabilities, seek professional help how they should be presented in reports. Note I mean the word "reports" in its more general sense, NOT a report directly out of gnucash, though the data might be from gnucash reports.

b) I'd keep the contingencies off the main books (the main Balance Sheet) but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be accounting for them as might be a very large component of "net worth", actual effective "income", etc. Keep in mind that gnucash can be keeping multiple sets of books, so you do have the choice of using gnucash to do that with instead of spread sheets, etc.

    Thus you could have a net worth (unconditional() form your main books balance sheet and a "contingent net worth" from your contingent books and you can add those up (outside of gnucash) to see your absolute + contingent net worth total, your real + virtual income, etc.

c) There are other situations where you might be wanting to keep "virtual" sets of books. Thus when we had solar installed, I wanted to know how this was performing AS AN INVESTMENT. When would it have paid off for itself in reality (time value of money, imputed income and expenses, etc. -- not the overly simplified illustrations given you when they are selling you the system). To do that I created a set of books for the virtual entity "solar system" which "borrowed" from us it initial capital at (then) market rates for 20 year fixed rate money. The system had "income" in the form of utility bills paid on our behalf, SRECS sold, tax credits transferred to us, etc. It had expenses like "tax liability incurred", "portion of property insurance", "cost of repairs" (none ye), and "interest payments". As "cash" accumulated in the asset "undistributed cash" (in effect, the profits) this was used to pay down the liability (the loan we made to it) and when that reached zero, the loan was paid off. Each year, the total sake if SRECs in that year noted when filling out the 1040 (and state income tax) but otherwise no actual transactions between our personal set of books and this virtual set of books.

Of course NOW, with the system having paid off the loan, things are different. Profits going into a ":repair and replacement fund" which is in effect a zero interest loan it is giving to us << when we do eventually have to lay out money for repair/replacement we will see that not actually "from our pockets" but money the system had prior loaned to us against this evil day.

Note that this did NOT involve a great deal of duplicate data entry as only transactions involving real money entered into both sets of books. SRECs only sold quarterly, property insurance annually (no component for property taxes as in this state, home solar immune from that for 20 years)

d) Note that organizations that keep books on the cash basis (common) but whose membership wants "statements" can use a set of virtual books (under accrual) for just that purpose. This does require duplicate entry of transactions but these typically only one per member (unless paying monthly is allowed). The "virtual" set of books used only to track member status, who has paid, who still owes, etc. Everything else simply ignored. Note that is more closely resembles legal reality as membership dies for voluntary organizations is not actually a "receivable" (there is no legal requirement to renew, regardless of the rules of the organization*)

Michael D Novack

* For example, we belong to the Grange (Patrons of Husbandry). The rules of the organization require a "demit" to quit without penalty. But if we left (stopped paying dues) without having received permission (the "demit") this would come into play only if we later wanted to rejoin.