Thanks Alan, for your suggestion.

I know the tabs can be put anywhere on the four points of the compass,
and I have tried them all: I like them where they are, on the left hand
side.

My question was if there was a way to lock them so that they cannot be
closed -
like the original 'Accounts' page has no 'X', though additional ones do.

I agree with others that the 'Close' button could be moved, or better still
done away with, I think it serves no useful purpose. Perhaps change it to
'Quit GnuCash' and really quit the program - on MacOS the red 'dot' does
not always quit a program - with a confirmation dialogue window.
But that is another matter, and what I am concerned with is my original
question and the possibility of GnuCash being enable to do this, or not,
and if not is it possible to add it at some point.