I am trying to run gnucash 4.8 under Mint 21 xfce.
The help menu item gives the following:
Version: 4.8
Build ID: 4.8a+(2021-09-28)
Finance::Quote: 1.51

gnucash does not save preferences.

I run it from the terminal so I can see any messages.

Upon starting I see:
Found Finance::Quote version 1.51.

I can enter transactions.  They are updated in the data file.

When I try to update the preferences, immediately upon clicking "preferences" (after "edit") I receive this message:

"sys:1: Warning: g_hash_table_foreach: assertion 'hash_table != NULL' failed"

I have conducted the following test.
Before running gnucash I run cd;ls -lR >file1
After      exiting gnucash I run cd;ls -lR >file2

Then I run meld ~/file1 ~/file2

It shows a couple of added logs and a backup, and the data file has been updated. There are no other changes anywhere in my home subtree except the file*. Specifically not in .config/gnucash nor .local/share/gnucash.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this or point me to a more modern gnucash .deb file that will install and run properly on Mint 21?