On 4/17/2023 8:42 PM, carol hardin wrote:
Hi there,

Ludite here on the open source accounting Gnucash.

Is there anyone doing live tutorials on how to use the program? I've gone through the documentation and still have lots of questions.

thanks for any referrals.

Carol H

Are you asking "how do I use gnucash to do double entry bookkeeping?" or are you asking "how do I do double entry bookkeeping?". Those are not the same question. A "Luddite" might still be doing bookkeeping pen and ink in books of bound accounting paper (some ruled "journal" and some "ledger" -- but to be honest, can use any ruled with at least two columns for either).

In other words, I could tell an experienced Luddite bookkeeper "just tell gnucash to use :journal view" and it will all be familiar to you except you won't have to manually "post" from journal to ledger << automated >> And the of course, how to run the standard reports which gnucash can just do.

I could tell somebody experienced doing double entry on the computer with some other software (QuickBooks, Sage, etc.) to just try it as the differences would be minimal << I didn't have any trouble replacing QuickBooks Pro with gnucash, essentially nothing to learn except the littlest details.

BUT --- if somebody has never done double entry bookkeeping before, there is LOTS to be learned. Just understand that this is far less learning gnucash than learning double entry.,

In order to suggest references to learn from, need to know from where you are starting.

Michael D Novack