I can't see how.

Firstly, from previous comments, people don't seem to understand my
workflow. The suggestion it is only a matter of setting the Accounting
Period once per year is so wrong without changing start date of year.

To briefly summarise, I have half a dozen entities and a few extras, each
with separate tax file numbers in a standard folder structure. If an entity
has it's own bank account it gets it's own set of books, otherwise, I use
QuickBooks and put classes on transactions/splits and report on the
classes. (My preference is the openness of GnuCash.) I normally navigate
through the Windows folders and double-click on the entity.gnucash file or
start it from the MRU list so it is easy to flick between entities.

A typical workflow is preparing tax returns for the previous financial
year. The V4 year hack defining start year as 1 July works well for all the
reports I use with year being relative to current date (as opposed to
accounting period which must be explicitly set). I often need to look at 2
years prior, ie the last finalised tax return, but it doesn't have a date
option so I set start/end of accounting period to the dates for 2
(financial) years prior. This workflow allows me to identify issues with
transactions/splits/accounts that often need something similar in another
entity. I imagine the workflow is fairly typical.

Accounting period is really useful for running a series of reports when the
entity was different, say a particular project period.

So, I very much want to define the current year which would also define
prior year, keep the existing accounting period functionality, and add a
start/end of 2 years prior period. A preference setting like currency for
start date of year would be nice but I'd be happy with a hacked version.

Regards

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2023-April/106523.html