I'm going to follow up my own message to note that I have now found that
GnuCash 4.13 under Windows 10 will add transactions to a placeholder account
even while displaying a message stating that it cannot write transactions to
placeholder accounts!

I've just had GnuCash do this twice, when it used an ancient transaction as a
template (I'll write about that in a different thread shortly) that has an
account that I have since set as a placeholder account and hidden because it is
closed.

Something is clearly broken here.

⁣David T. ​