Kalpesh,

Your assessment regarding capital gains rates is accurate; it's been one of my
problems with this issue for some time. It also comes up with stock splits,
where the "new" shares should have the original acquisition date. Honestly,
this is not an easy issue to finesse without a boatload of work.

For what it's worth (most likely not a lot), when I had a brokerage change many
years back, I created a new account in GnuCash for that brokerage, and simply
moved the stock accounts into that new brokerage account. It probably violates
17 rules of accounting, but it worked for me.

⁣David T. ​