Glenn, you said " I think QFX is OFX with some minor modifications.".

From the GNC import perspective, they are both same. Technically QFX is
proprietary Quicken implementation of OFX by adding a header but GNC ignores
that header during the import.

I concur that best way to deal with OFX is to download via financial
institutions on-line web portal and import it in. If you want go down the
technical side, see
https://sites.google.com/site/pocketsense/home/msmoneyfixp1/faq. It is old but
is good.

OFX direct connect (verus downloading) is dying. BOF discontinued and so did
Chase. Schwab went behind paywall with Quicken is the only one authorized for
OFX direct connect.

-----Original Message-----
From: Glenn Serre <gase...@spiresoftware.com>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2023 2:54 PM
To: Chris Miller <c...@tryx.org>
Cc: gnucash-user <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Wells Fargo OFX

Good morning,

Here's a quick note on my experience in case it's helpful.

transactions in QFX format corresponding to the monthly statements.  I think
QFX is OFX with some minor modifications.

I have used gnucash with several banks for checking, savings, and credit cards:
Wells Fargo, Bank of the West, E*Trade Bank, Chase, Capital One, Apple Card
(whatever bank they really use).
Last year I made a concerted effort to enable OFX direct connect for all of
these, but I gave up after the first couple.  I may have written an email about
it that is saved in the archives.  My conclusion is that OFX direct connect is
generally not well supported by banks and seems to be going away.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 10:35 AM Chris Miller <c...@tryx.org> wrote:
[...]
> Yes. What diagnosis and debug facilities are available? Am I going to have to
> compile code and step through it with a debugger? I can do that, but if I
> have to, but I don't think I want to. It just sounds like a frustrating
> project. I haven't yet tried to do an OFX exchange, because antecedent to
> "exchange" is "setup", and I'm still not entirely sure how I do that, or even
> if I can do that with Wells Fargo.

If I remember correctly, Wells Fargo is one of the ones that still works (I
don't bank with Wells Fargo any more). If you really want direct connect, go to
Tools->Online Banking Setup and give it a whirl.
If it doesn't work, my advice would be to abandon the effort and use
transaction download instead as I do. Debugging is reasonably well supported in
that you can set gnucash to write a detailed log file which generally pointed
me to what was going wrong.  I'm not remembering the details, but the
instructions are on a gnucash web page.
There are a few ofx client programs also, ofxclient being one I found
particularly useful.
The ofxhome website does not appear to be well maintained.

> I am curious about relative successes. OFX exchange is so important to me
> that I would consider changing banks to get it. What banks support GnuCash
> OFX with the fewest probems? Which ones have the most trouble?
[...]

I recently discovered that Morgan Stanley's cashplus account only supports
transaction download in Excel (.xlsx) format, so that would be the one with the
most trouble that I have seen.  Otherwise, my monthly download of transactions
works reasonably well with the other banks I use.  The lack of detail I get in
the transactions (Zelle, checks, and direct deposit) is annoying, but that's
not directly an OFX issue.

Again, based on my experience I would say do something else rather than use ofx
direct connect.

-- Glenn S.