From: John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us>
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2023 7:01 PM
To: Gilberto Reis Filho <gilberto.reis.fi...@gmail.com>
Cc: gnucash-user@gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] How do I search foi empty description, notes or memo
fields

<gilberto.reis.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a fairly large database of transactions that I want to search
> for empty (null) description, notes or memo fields.
>
> Using the provided search function I always have to type some text to
> perform a search.
>
> Is there any way to search for "null" fields in the database using the
> built in Find Transaction function?
>
> I am using version 5.3 in Windows and the XML backend.

You can use matches regex and ^$ or doesn't match regex and .+  . In regular
expressions ^ means the beginning of the string and $ means the end, so ^$
is an empty string. Conversely . means any character and + means
one-or-more, so .+ matches anything. Note that * in place of + means
zero-or-more so .* will match any contents or none at all. It has its uses
but this wouldn't be one of them.

Regards,
John Ralls