According to John Ralls:
"Several others have answered the question already: Import small pieces, a
month or two at a time, until the matcher gets it mostly right, then move
to larger pieces. This is another common issue to users coming to GnuCash
from Quicken and there's a longer explanation at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Quicken_Migration.";