I'd say you are almost certainly right, Adrian, but.....

There I was, sailing along at my usual boring, routine, data entry to gnucash, as I have done since 2019.

On entering a transaction I got the message I have copied several times, that I don't have rights or space to save the transaction, never saw it before.

Put a question on here and a long series of q&a ensued.

I just needed a simple a - what is the meaning of the message? can I 'go back' to eliminate it? can I delete the entry? can I close down gnucash and restart with a new transaction, etc.

Things like you have two users on the same files, was news to me.

As time went by and the q&a got more complicated I lost the sequence of where we were, plus issues with trying to send page images.

Finally, I found myself with a 2022 gnucash file, and nothing else, in my administrato folder. BUT, whenever I tried to save that file, just so I could get on with my accounts, I got the same 'you need rights' message.

A long way around, but no solution.

The help and advice I have had is terrific, but increasingly confusing. I wouldn't say I am an expert in accounting, I have a long history in IT, but not specifically in GNU.

The one thing that has created the confusion for me is the bewildering array of files associated with my, in my mind, simple, accounting needs. I was not, and still am not familiar with the numerous files on the same date and time, what is the difference between 'backups' 'logs' and the last file I was working on. I appreciate the need to have security in an accounting software, but not the range of files.

Longwinded? yes.

Can I recover my situation in time for my tax return date of mid November? I think I should delete everything and reload gnucash anew, create 2022 and 2023 from my paper files and send the result for 2022 to the taxman, (or woman in these liberated days)??

For those who get long strings of posts on the same topic, sorry for boring you.

Barry