From: gnucash-user <gnucash-user-bounces+gylemc=gmail....@gnucash.org> on
behalf of Mark via gnucash-user <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 11:04 AM
To: Maf. King <m...@chilwell.net>
Cc: gnucash-user@gnucash.org <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Transaction inconsistency when deleting account

Sep 5, 2023 08:33:44 Maf. King <m...@chilwell.net>:

> I just tried deleting an account.   As expected, I was presented with the
> choice to "move transactions to..." or "Delete all transactions" (see
> screenshot - this is GC 4.x, maybe the wording is different in v5)
>
> Deleting the transactions does not really seem to delete anything, the
> transaction splits effectively moved to Imbalance-GBP.
>
> One could argue that "splits" in the deleted account have been deleted, and
> GC has auto-created new splits to the Imbalance account - I don't know what
> the internal process is- but it "feels" to the end user like a move, not a
> delete.
>
> Given a "transaction" is a collection of "at least 2 splits",  then I think I
> agree with the OP, (whatever the validity of the reason for wanting to delete
> an account), being told that "transactions" will be deleted and them still
> existing seems a bug (maybe only in wording in the dialog box)

Ah, it's been a while since I deleted an account, and I don't remember the
option to delete all transactions being there (maybe I just forgot). I agree
that is confusing at least, and maybe a bug.

I don't think I would ever use that option, though. That seems like a confusing
side effect to have transactions deleted by deleting an account. Maybe I'm just
used to the way GnuCash has done things.