>> 2. Record the tax split in the sell transaction directing it to a
>> transitory asset account and then recording a separate tax transaction
>> in the transitory account directing it to the tax expense account.

>No, it not YET a "tax expense" but an asset. Maybe confused because both
debit?

In my country it is a tax expense at the moment you sell shares of a
mutual fund. You cannot compensate for it when filing your tax report
even if you lose money in the future. It is gone. Government calls it
"exclusive taxation".

>Only when you file your taxes determining the total tax you owe can you
>tell what it will become. If the total amount held in all of the "tax
>withheld" amounts is greater than the tax owed, part of that will become
>"tax expense" and some refunded to you. If you have severe losses later
>in the year maybe you get all of this back.

That is not how it works here. If you sell, you pay at the time you
sell. You cannot compensate for it afterwards.

Just as a curiosity, in my jurisdiction you have to pay the tax when
you sell and you have to pay tax semi-anually (if your mutual funds
share price goes up you have to pay semi-anually even if you do not
sell your shares). You cannot compensate for it either. The government
accomplishes this by making the bank sell part of your shares to pay
for this capital gain tax each semester (by this your average
acquisition share price goes up and consequently your average returns
go down).

>Think of that money as being held in escrow by the government for the
>purpose of paying taxes that MIGHT be due. In other words, they have
>that much in hand against what you might end up owing and guaranteed not
>having to try to collect it from you later at tax filing/tax due time.

I understand what you are saying but this does not apply here.

>Michael D Novack