Unless you never enter a transaction after a reconciliation that is dated before that last closing date, *and* you never have any transactions that aren't reconciled at each and every reconciliation (that is, some that haven't cleared the institution yet, but are in your books) then you will likely never see the suggested Opening Balance match the presumed 'opening date' on the day you attempt reconciliation. (the 'opening date' is not shown or listed, as it isn't relevant, only the closing date is.)

For that matter, the account balance as of a closing date isn't likely to match the statement closing balance for reconciliation if any transactions haven't cleared yet.

The purpose of reconciliation is to verify that from the last closing date to the new closing date, the listed transactions cleared the account and thus explain the change from the opening balance (last closing balance) to the new closing balance listed on the statement.

The actual balance, in your books, on a given day, or as of a given day, is irrelevant to that reconciliation.

-----

Now, how are you *certain* that those reconciliations didn't happen and that there is no record of them?

Run a Reconciliation Report and select a desired account.

Set the date to say, 1/1/22 and the end date to 'today'.

Leave all other defaults.

You'll get a report showing transactions and their dates, sorted by Reconciled status with Reconciled first. (followed by Cleared and then Unreconciled)

Look that over carefully. If you have blocks of transactions with a reconciled date before they allegedly occurred in real life (the transaction date)—e.g, you had transactions from May '23, reconciled to perhaps May '22, then it is quite possible you had the wrong year on your closing date dialog when you thought you were performing the May '23 reconciliation.

If you know for a fact you did, say a May '23 reconciliation, and those transactions all show in either the Cleared or Unreconciled section of the report, then yeah, you have a problem.

But the fact that you have backup files also with no evidence of these reconciliations is extremely odd. (it isn't like GnuCash is going to edit or trash data in multiple files at one time)