I am not sure if this is something new with 5.4, but I notice when I exit from
GnuCash (windows 11), there is a background process left running.

In task manager the process is called "GnuCash Program File (32 bit)" ... it
uses 0% CPU, takes 76.9MB memory, and 0% disk.  But it is always running.

The reason I found this is that I observed something was locking up one of the
Gnucash log files - I know this because I keep by Gnucash files on OneDrive and
I now sometimes get sync errors due to log file being "in use" even after I
shut down Gnucash.  I assume it is the background process that is using a log
file preventing it from being synced properly even after GnuCash shuts down.

I also observe the online finance quote retrieval has changed with 5.4.
Specifically, previously there was always a window frame pop-up while quote
retrieval was happening.  Since 5.4, this no longer happens.  The retrieval
happens but there is no window showing anywhere ... did online quote retrieval
move to a background process perhaps.

I wonder if the background process issue is related to some change in how
GnuCash triggers online quote retrievals?

I am considering to revert back to previous GnuCash version to confirm the
background process locking issue goes away.

Regards,
Bill