It may be because I have a lot of experience and training in accounting,
but it seems to me that using different terms depending on the account just
adds to the confusion. To me, using just "debit" and "credit" is a lot
easier - but one must understand three accounting basics:

1. that every account belongs in one of 5 different groups,
2. that, depending upon which "group" the account is in, it will normally
have either a debit or credit balance,.and
3. that the sum of debits minus credits in each transaction must equal zero
- without exception.

*Grouping*      *"normal balance"*

Assets                  debit
Liabilities              credit
Income                 credit
Expense               debit
Equity                   credit (but note that, if the business has been
incurring more expenses than revenue, the Equity balance will be abnormal -
a debit)

A "normal" posting to any account increases its "normal" balance. So an
increase to an asset account (checking, savings, investments, Accounts
Receivable, etc) would be a debit as would an increase to any expense
account.

However, any increase to a liability account's "normal"  balance (credit
card, loan) would be a credit as would any increase to an Income account.

This explains the confusion over whether credit means "increase" or
"decrease". *It means neither* in accounting terms. Whether a credit
increases or decreases an account depends on what type of account it is
(i.e. which "grouping" the account is in).

So, some ordinary entries for those of us just keeping track of home
finances would include:

                                                                  *debit
(dr)    credit (cr)*

*paid for groceries w/credit (increases both balances):*

Visa card
        50
groceries expense                                           50

*paid credit card from checking acct (decreases both balances)*

checking acct
      25
Visa card                                                          25

*got my paycheck (increases both)*

checking acct                                                  600
Income
         600

*Balances (all normal)*

Checking                                                      575
Visa
                 25
Income
            600
Expense                                                         50

Total                                                             *625*
              *625*

*Businesses "close books" at the end of the year (income and expenses are
set to zero by making "abnormal" entries in the amount of their year-end
balances). *
*Assets and liabilities are not "closed" but retain their balances.*

Income                                                           600
Expense
            50
Equity
            550

Hope this helps - or at least doesn't add to the confusion :(

Jim Thomas