Thank you very much, everyone, for the helpful replies.

I went the nuclear route and reinstalled from the ground up. If there was
an issue in a registry-type aspect of my operating system, I didn't want to
wait around for more software to crash while I experimented with a VM.
Wasn't worth the risk.

I suspect that the core issue was that I installed Ubuntu 22.10 and did a
lot of meddling to get my OS up to 23.10.

On the new install, I ended up installing using flatpak. This version is
not having the same issue with gsettings.

There is one issue outside of GnuCash, but I think it's an Ubuntu issue,
and I don't think it's as serious, so I'll worry about it later.