Gnucash can;

1. add/change/delete freely
2. works with sqlite, can't really do multi-user there
3. works with postgres/mysql (multi-user capable)

~mark
On 11/18/23 21:08, Wu Ming via gnucash-user wrote:
Hello,

I am not an accountant. Nevertheless was recently asked to administer a family
micro business.

With few tens of customers and a handful of transactions a year for each,
volume doesn’t seem large. I can possibly manage with a spreadsheet.

The newly hired, first employee is an unknown. There’s no transactions history
to look at.

One concern is the learning process. On a text document or spreadsheet I am
used to fix mistakes by deleting what is wrong. And start over with ample copy
and paste to reuse. On a spreadsheet also everything is, mostly, under sight. I
can literally use the zoom in and out function.

I have the idea of accounting books being this sacred repository carved in
stone. Where only adding transactions is allowed. What is the reality for who
uses GNU Cash?

Another concern is of reproducibility. With a text file it is easy to diff and
find what changed and by who. And merge or roll back version. With a database
is not. Data model is likely relational, db file is binary so it requires
another tool to interact with, backup up as well and concurrent use requires
checks and locks. I have read GNU Cash uses SQLlite. How do you deal with
versioning / backups and uncoordinated, albeit rare, access from few users?

On the subject I was also toying with the idea to implement something with GNU
Recutils. Relational, plain text file based data store. But I don’t think have
the skills or time for it.

I helped at developing web applications for medium sized businesses. Have some
experience of databases and UNIX. Not with accounting on a shoestring though.

Thanks for sharing.