On 11/21/2023 7:58 AM, David Kirkby wrote:
I was a bit concerned about the complexity of the CSV files exported from
GnuCash, since they contain information my accountant does not want. I
wrote to him and received this as a response (slightly edited from his
reply)

*Thank you for your email. Do not worry about sending me over complicated
CSV files - we are very used to this. *

*The way in which we normally work is that a client sends across the trial
balance, we make relevant adjustments to which we use for the accounts and
send these adjustments back to you to make within your software. *

Check what he/she REALLY wants. Ask that question, "How would you really like them?" As opposed to asking "Could you accept the data in xyz format?"

Also keep in mind that .cvs (comma separated variable) is a basic level description of the data. Thus typically a spreadsheet application is using this basic level format to store its data BUT that does not mean that any file in .cvs format would be meaningful data for a spreadsheet.

Thus when he/she is saying "Do not worry about sending me overly complicated CVS files" perhaps saying don't worry about sending me the data from a spreadsheet that has additional, extraneous columns.

The point here is that people are telling you that you can export into an HTML file that a typical spreadsheet app can open and then save that in a more normal format (for a spreadsheet). And THAT is perhaps what your accountant wants (because can edit in the changes as he/she described and send back to you)

Michael D Novack