Yes, the Description/Memo columns spring back. Always grab the right handle and drag left and they will snap to fill the remaining space.

You *can* specify the widths numerically, but you have to edit your .gcm file by hand to do so.

See the wiki for the file location on your OS: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations

Double-clicking will auto-size to fit.

And yes, the tab bar is shrinkable using a CSS file. (basic info also in the wiki)