Paras,

I used the lots feature for quite some time, and for a while I felt that it
made my investments life so much easier.

But.

The day came when I had to change one capital gain entry that was off for some
reason*. I changed it to the proper amount (as reported to the tax
authorities), and moved on.

Time passed. Reconciliations happened. I kept using the lots in the account on
new accounts. And then the account wouldn't reconcile. Hours later, I
discovered that the lots feature had "readjusted" my already-reconciled
transaction back to what it believed was the correct number, all without any
notice to me whatsoever.

I will admit that the underlying issue was that I needed to change **which**
lots were affected by a given sale, and that selecting the wrong lots (easy to
do in a mutual fund where dividends are reinvested every so often, creating
many small lots) would throw off the capital gains amounts.

So, that's my fault for not understanding the accounting principles and
transactions needed for recording capital gains.

But any feature that's going to change reconciled transactions silently behind
my back is simply not OK.

So I do my capital gains transactions manually now. I need to be able to trust
that the figures won't magically change on me.

⁣David T.​

* the list discussion for all of this is at:
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2022-July/102059.html