Pretty much, yes, although I found it a bit weak on the note that it is not
really necessary.

But the larger issue is that I believe this email list could benefit from a
FAQ that is posted monthly or every other month to this group. The wiki has
some neat ideas about tracking year to year equity growth.

I gather that the main reason for "closing" books is that on the "Accounts"
tab, one can see the year-to-date expenses and income instead of the total
since one started using GnuCash. It's a neat idea.