On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 1:40 PM Jim DeLaHunt <list+gnuc...@jdlh.com> wrote:

> On 2024-01-29 06:04, Mahon Finbar via gnucash-user wrote:
>
> > OK, I want to do it properly, but I had an email crash and .....
> >
> > So, can someone point me or send me the 'how to' for doing an end of
> > year process, where I can 'inherit' the names from the autocomplete
> > from the previous years?
>
> You might want to start with this email thread: "[GNC] Why or why not to
> do year-end closing journal entries? (Close Books?)" from December 2023
> <
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2023-December/109762.html
> >.
>
> My top lesson about year-end closing books using GnuCash is, you don't
> have to do it. And so I don't. My books contain over 10 years of
> transactions at this point.
>
> If you don't close books and start a new book file, then the existing
> book file, which you continue to use, will continue to provide
> autocomplete from previous years.
>
> Best regards,
>       —Jim DeLaHunt

I agree with Jim; I have seven full years in my GnuCash file. You could
create an end-of-year copy of your main file, but there is nothing that
"has" to  be done.

But I do like the idea of zeroing the Income and Expense categories, so I
manually did a "close the books" once the new year started.  It was a good
experience, and I found some errors in the process, so that's good as well.