I'm running GNUCash 5.4, because Windows.

My experience has been similar, but sometimes the register does display
properly. Often when it does not display properly, if I arrow up, the situation
is corrected.

I have not documented the behavior to the point where I could write a bug
report, but I strongly suspect there is a bug.