If the OFX files are made correctly then that means the transactions are
already recorded in the account.

Each transaction in an OFX import has an FITID that is supposed to be unique
for the source institution. When creating a new transaction or matching an
existing one GnuCash records the FITID as the transaction's online-id after
first searching all transactions in the account for that FITID and finding no
match.

A few users have reported that their banks' software screws up the FITIDs so
that they're unique within the downloaded file but are repeated across multiple
files and that breaks GnuCash's duplicate detection. Check your OFX files
(they're plain text) and see if the FITIDs are being reused. If they are you
can write a simple program in your favorite scripting language to add something
uniique--maybe the file's date as YYYYMMDD or a serial number--to every FITID.
Keep the script around, you'll need to apply it to all future imports from that
bank until they fix their OFX export software.

Regards,
John Ralls