The "Net Assets" value at the bottom of the screen does NOT match the
Assets account Present(USD) value.
So, when I saw the word "Net", I assumed Assets-Liability.
But, as you pointed out, that would be Equity.

If I play with Edit:Preferences:Accounting Period
I can keep or remove Grand total (at bottom of screen)
If I change End Date, the Net Assets value does change, but not match.
  I have tried:   Today, End of this year, End of previous year
If I change Start Date, the Profits value changes, but the Net Assets
remains the same.