So my book is coming out at the end of this month, at long last. I expect that most of my sales will be through my distributor, who will handle things on the back end and just cut me a (very small!) check. (Or an invoice if it doesn't sell and copies are returned...but, as has been said, if your dreams don't scare you then they're not big enough!)

Still, I want to do some local sales and I want to account for them properly. My personal sales are likely to fall into one of three categories:

 * Wholesale (discounted) sales to resellers who do not have a sales
   account with my wholesaler/distributor. I've identified one such
   outlet and offered them a 53% reseller discount off the cover price
   to stock it at their location. They'll be responsible for any CC
   fees and taxes, so no problem there.
 * Retail sales through agents: There is a local non-book store I
   frequent (actually, it's a donut shop) which offered to let me sell
   the book through them when I mentioned it...and they didn't even ask
   for a cut, even though I offered them one. With such friendly
   treatment I want to make things as easy as possible for them, and I
   want to offer a price break to their/my customers by eating the
   8.25% local sales tax. Generally for one-off sales I just divide the
   sale price by 1.0825 and use the standard tax table; it comes out
   even. Here, though, it won't be a one-off but (hopefully) an ongoing
   thing. What's the best way to set this up? I had in mind creating a
   sales sub-account for tax-included purchases and then every quarter
   when the tax return is due divide by 1.0825, send the 8 and a
   quarter to my sales tax liability account and the remainder to my
   regular sales account. Does that sound workable, or is there a
   better way?
 * Retail sales at shows, by mail, special requests such as signed
   copies, etc. In the local state they'll have sales tax due, but
   shipped out of state as I understand it I won't need to collect
   until/unless I cross the sales nexus threshold (highly unlikely).
   But what of potential overseas direct sales? Even my CPA is unlikely
   to know all of the hoops...and tiger traps...standing out in that
   field. Can someone direct me to a concise primer to sales from
   overseas in Great Britain, the UK, Australia, and Canada (the main
   markets I can ship to)?

Thanks again. This community has proven wonderfully helpful over the years----Eric.