Thanks.

For others who might come across this thread and feel motivated to add to it,
that's not necessary. As Richard Ullger reported back in October we know that
the root cause is Nvidia screwing up their Linux drivers. Unfortunately a lot
of distributions didn't get the memo about that and continue to create new
packages with the broken drivers even though Nvidia has long since released
fixed ones. It even bit Nvidia senior engineer Connor Hoekstra, getting a
mention in his podcast (https://adspthepodcast.com/2023/09/15/Episode-147.html
or https://adspthepodcast.com/2023/09/22/Episode-148.html, IIRC pretty near the
beginning but I don't remember which one).

Regards,
John Ralls