On 3/31/24 16:46:44 -0700, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

I'm getting ready to release Finance::Quote v1.60 to CPAN. It
appears that AlphaVantage has again changed how they deal with
throttling for requests using the free API keys/tokens. This has
affected some users that may have data that requires doing more
than a handful of currency exchange calculations.

Is there any written description of what throttling behaviour F::Q observes from AlphaVantage?

No. But the code currently throttles queries to 5 per minute. In the past AlphaVantage would return a message indicating that one has reached a limit of some number of queries in a minute. I've done some testing in the past week or so and that is no longer the case. But, the free API key is limited to 25 queries per day.

I have an AlphaVantage API key registered in GnuCash's settings. I
have about four currencies and 10-20 stocks, mutual funds, and ETFs
which get price updates through my daily GnuCash "Get Quotes"
regimen. Is this "more than a handful" of currency exchange
calculations? Will I be one of the users affected by the throttling?

I believe the currency calculation typically does not happen for each stock query unless the pricing is a currency that needs to be converted to match a user's default currency. Item to note here is that AV does not differentiate between stock price lookup and currency conversion lookup. Each lookup is counted towards the daily limit.

Is the proposed change only for looking up currency exchange rates,
so does not affect lookup of securities prices?

No.

What is the difference to a consumer like me of F::Q getting the
data from YahooJSON rather than from AlphaVantage?

No difference at all. I think a benefit of changing the default to YahooJSON is that user's would not be forced to get an AV API Key even if they don't have securities using AlphaVantage for the data source.

Bruce S.