20 or so years ago I had a small company and used check-printing software to
make the checks. I used generic pre-printed forms and the software included the
MICR font and printed the routing id and account number in the appropriate
place at the bottom. Back then the bank sent the completed checks back with the
statements and every once in a while there'd be a strip of paper taped to the
bottom of the check with the MICR line repeated. I guess that read failures
were common enough that they had a procedure and probably a machine where a
human would read and retype the MICR line to make and attach that strip when
the regular read failed.

Regards,
John Ralls